Beyond the Black Rainbow a Short Review

Director: Panos Cosmatos

Starring: Michael Rodgers, Eva Allan, and Scott Hylands

Original Release Date: December 31st 2010




Okay, I lied. I know I said that after reviewing Thor the Dark World  that I’d be taking a break from reviews until I’d finished Agents of SHIELD. Well it just so happens that I watched a little independent horror movie last night that shattered my mind. That movie was called Beyond the Black Rainbow. I had heard of this movie on forums, and I’d seen the cover art for the film (although I can’t really pinpoint where) and while suffering a boring Monday evening surfing Netflix I discovered this gem. I thought, “what the hell” and clicked play, not knowing exactly what I was going to be getting myself into. I have never been more thankful for a spur of the moment movie screening in my entire life.


Beyond the Black Rainbow is a tribute of sorts to the old experimental science fiction films from the 70’s and 80’s. As director Panos Cosmatos puts it “the best way to watch this is to discover it as it unfolds.” So I’ll try my best to not give too much of the plot away because this movie is truly best watched without having any indication on what it’s about. To put it lightly, the film takes place in the 1980’s and tells the story of Elena, a young girl who is being kept in a strange futuristic compound. When she finds a way to escape the facility her deranged psychiatrist obsessively hunts her down.



This movie is just like an onion, a strange comparison for sure but it is one of the few ways I can describe this movie. Every scene reveals another layer behind the mystery that is Elena. Why is she being kept in this strange compound? What is the deal with her psychiatrist? And more importantly, what is the dark purpose behind the Arboria Institute? All of these questions are answered but you must be fully attuned to the film to find these answers because Beyond the Black Rainbow is a very slow meticulously crafted piece of work that demands its audience to take it’s time to reveal it’s story. One of the only movies that come to mind when I think of this movie is 2001 a Space Odyssey, which is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Back in 2010 there were so many movies that tried to emulate the look and feel of a 70’s and 80’s flick. Most of them however failed in that regard, Panos Cosmatos has given us something that feels like a long lost science fiction classic. If you had no idea that this movie was made in 2010 you would have assumed that this was an older film. Down to the film grains (which aren't always annoyingly present like other films have tried to emulate) to the hypnotic synthesized score, Beyond the Black Rainbow is a beautiful visual feast. I highly recommend watching this movie in a dark room with the sound cranked up as far as you can bear it, you won’t regret it. I do not say this for a lot of movies, but Beyond the Black Rainbow is truly an experience that you should watch at least once in your life.

As I made the comparison with 2001 I have to say that just like the mentioned film Beyond is not for everyone. The movie is slow, minutes will go by without hardly any dialogue and the film might come across as a tad pretentious to some viewers. If you can look past this you’ll be in for a psychedelic trip that no other movie out there can comprehend. I don’t recommend watching this high, you won’t be having a good night. If you’re brave of heart though feel free to do so and let me know how you fared.


The cast is very small in this movie, there are only five major characters throughout the entire film. The stand-out performance in this film is Michael Rodgers as Barry Nyle, the psychiatrist tasked with looking after Elena. The moment you see him walk into his dimly lit orange neon room you can tell that something is really off about this man. Rodgers gives one of the most unnerving performances I've ever seen. Each line is delivered in a slow quiet drone, each intake of breath feels like a noose slowly wrapping itself around your neck.  Nyle represents the fear in every woman, a man who in essence uses his power and status to exploit and torment his victims. He is a despicable and horrifying man, but you can’t help but be attracted to this devil of a character.

Eva Allan is our protagonist Elena. A girl of very few words, we never really hear Elena talk that much throughout the course of the movie. She is more of an observer, trying her best to navigate the maze that has been created by Nyle. Evan uses her physicality to convey everything that we need to see, and feel from the character. This might make her harder to relate to for others but I find that this choice was a very well executed decision that really served the movie and story.


Those with a fetish for set designs and cinematography will be in nirvana when they watch this movie. From the odd chairs to the dangerous Sentonauts there is something of note with every single frame of the film. You could pause any scene and quickly frame it as a piece of art. This movie is gorgeous, and I know I've been gushing over the visuals in this movie but I simply can't help it. Beyond the Black Rainbow is sex for the senses, the movie is burned into my mind and I want to go back and watch it again, there is so much to take in and analyse.

I want to keep this review short and sweet because like the director said this movie really needs to be a fresh experience for those who are fortunate enough to watch it. Take my word for it, this movie is amazing and you should stop whatever you’re doing and watch it right away. It’s on Netflix so its very easy to access. The only negative I have with this movie is that Panos Cosmatos has not directed another movie since Beyond first  made its rounds in film festivals.

I give this an 8/10

Comments

Popular Posts