10 of my favorite Soundtracks

I have a thing for movie soundtracks, I collect them, I listen to them all the time, and I love blasting them in my car on my way to work. Of course I do not have the means to get all the soundtracks to the movies I enjoy, but hey, that's what the internet is for. This list is compiled of Soundtracks that I love, from some of my favorite movies,  to songs that I cant get out of my head.

10. DUNE
image

Composed by: TOTO and Brian Eno

Frank Herbert's Science Fiction masterpiece remains to this day one of my favorite books of all time. The film by the equally brilliant David Lynch did not hit it off to well with casual movie goers or fans of the source material for that matter. That being said I commend the movie for introducing me to Arrakis and the battle between house Atredies and house Harkonnen.
The soundtrack by Toto and Brian Eno are one of the highlights of the movie, the soundtrack just rings with sounds from the 80's and of course probably one of the most catchiest and most epic theme songs to a movie ever. Although the movie is one big acid trip (which the book is not) I would highly recommend seeing it at least once for the set designs and costume work, and of course, this kick ass soundtrack.

9. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
image

Original Songs by: Richard O'Brien
Performed by: The Entire Cast

Probably one of the best/strangest musicals ever to be conceived ever! A movie that is so wild and so out there you cant help but not look away. Controversial for when it first came out, Rocky Horror became one of the biggest cult films ever. The songs in the movie are so catchy and I remember being little and hearing Time Warp on the radio around Halloween all the time. That is something you can't say about most musicals which says allot about the impact of this movie.
A movie about a transvestite Doctor, his creation and a unfortunate couple are the center fold of this amazing and memorable musical. I only wish the soundtrack had all the songs on it I prefer actually owning a physical copy than purchasing off of itunes .

8. Avatar
image


Composed by: James Horner
I See You performed by: Leona Lewis

Say what you will about James Camerons Avatar, unoriginal? Yes , bad movie? Far from it.  Avatar is one of my favorite movies, the beautiful world of Pandora is just as enchanting as the desert world of Arrakis. It's a place that once you see it, you immediately want to go there and help the Na'vi in their fight against the RDA.

James Horner's music in this is enchanting and epic. He captures the spirit to the movie perfectly  It is a soundtrack that after you listen to it you remember what part of the movie you heard the track in.
The theme song for this movie is "I see You" which plays constantly through out the movie but it is only until the end credits where you get to hear the full version performed by Leona Lewis. This song is enchanting and beautiful and is one of the many reasons that I will watch the credits even after finishing the movie.

7. TRON: Legacy
image

Composed by: Daft Punk

How did electronic band Daft Punk ass their unique style to Disneys Tron Legacy? The experiment (very successful) sounds likes Hans Zimmer meets Atari. That is the only way I can describe the music in this movie, Daft Punk is a very successful band and now they are very successful composers. The movies of course has their signature style but what surprised me was the use of an entire orchestra in the film.
Daft Punk surprised me and I really hope they return for the third installment in the franchise.

6. Highlander

image

Composed by: Michael Kamen
Songs Performed by: QUEEN

The movie is almost entirely one long Queen music video! What else can I say, Queen is one of the best bands ever and Highlander is an epic tale of one immortals quest to survive the century long death match and win the fabled prize. This movie is awesome, the sequels.... that's another story.

5. The Dark Knight Trilogy

image


Composed by: Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

What happens when you put my favorite composer in one of the most influential comic book movies of the last decade? You get one of the most powerful, and moving soundtracks for a comic book movie.
Hans Zimmer really put his all in the Dark Knight Trilogy, his theme for Batman is just as iconic as the films themselves.  James Newton Howard is no exception, he gets drafted allot for these films. He only helped composed the first two films but his theme of Harvey Dent in the Dark Knight is one of the best tracks in the film.  I don't know of a single person who doesn't own at least one of these soundtracks. Even if you don't collect soundtracks these albums still find their way into peoples homes.

4. Platoon
image


Composed by: George Delerue

Unfortunately many songs from Oliver Stones amazing Vietnam movie are not on the soundtrack. That being said many of the songs from the era are featured on this soundtrack which really makes it worth the purchase, songs from artists like Grace Slick and Jim Morrison riddle the cd. But of course that would not be the main reason anyone would buy the soundtrack. the True gem of this soundtrack is Adiago which is such a heartbreaking and completely moving piece that I cannot help but get choked up when I hear it.


3. The Lord of the Rings
image

Composed by: Howard Shore

I am pretty sure the soundtrack from the LOTR trilogy is on everyone's favorite soundtrack list , and why the hell wouldn't it? This award winning epic is one of the best soundtracks written period! With such iconic songs as the Shire and the Hobbits are instant classics and mentally transport you into Tolkien's mythic world.

2. Star Wars
image


Composer: John Williams

Now by Star Wars I don't mean one movie, I mean the entire epic! Episode's I-IV have the most iconic and famous tracks in movie history. Even if you hate the prequel trilogy (I frankly do not) you can admit that Duel of the Fates is an awesome track and has become the unofficial battle theme for Star Wars. John Williams is a master of his craft, Star Wars in my opinion is his swan song, Williams has had an amazing career scoring some of the best movies and making the best scores in history. But Star Wars is something he will always be remembered for

1. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children/ Advent Children Complete
image

Composer: Nobuo Uetmatsu
Yep I am going to be biased, my #1 soundtrack is the soundtrack to my favorite movie of all time. Final Fantasy VII is the most popular game in the hugely popular and groundbreaking series. I remember how happy i was when I heard another movie was in the works (and one based on a game) and it was a sequel to VII. I remember so many of my friends thinking Cloud died at the end of the game, well they were wrong.

I watched trailers for this movie nonstop and I had multiple tracks from the game on my mp3 player (this is 2004 people) when the movie came out I was blown away. I watched it three more times after I first saw it and I haven't really stopped, I can play the movie scene for scene in my head and reenact it (embarrassingly enough) the soundtrack was something that was a object of desire throughout my high school years. Sure I downloaded it but I wanted a physical copy.
One trip to a convention later and I found it, Nobuo Uetmatsu is a great composer, and although many have tried to fill his shoes in latter installments of the series no one can be as good as the master. Tracks like Areith's theme and Advent One Winged Angel are just as symbolic and memorable as the game itself. Sure the movie is not perfect but its a hell of a ride and has the best CGI work I have ever seen. Even this day Seven Years after the films release it still blows Pixars and Dream works films out of the park.


Although I love many soundtracks, some couldn't make the list, making a top 10 is harder than I thought. Here are some honorable mentions, each are awesome soundtracks to some pretty great movies


Blade Runner

image

Composer: Vangelis

Inception

image


Composer: Hans Zimmer

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

image

Composer: John Williams

The Godfather

image

Composed by: Nino Rota & Carlo Savina

Sunshine

image


Composed by: John Murphy & Underworld



Cloud Atlas
image

Composed by: Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil

Comments

Popular Posts